I wanted to make Grace's cupcakes for her 3rd birthday ballerina party extra special since I wasn't going to make an elaborate cake like I've done in past years (her Hungry Caterpillar 1st birthday cake took me forever!) I found these adorable ballerina cupcake toppers on That Cute Little Cake and I was inspired to make my own version.
Card stock or scrapbook paper
Streamers (2- 8 inch strips per topper)
Sewing machine and thread
Pearl stickers (optional)
1. Print out the bodices on card stock or scrapbook paper. Click on the image to go to the free downloadable printable. Cut them out and tape each one to a toothpick.
2. Take two strips of crepe paper streamer and put them on top of each other. Fold them in half lengthwise to create a crease down the middle. Unfold and use the crease as a sewing guide.
3. Sew down the entire strip on your crease line. Do not back stitch at the beginning or end of the strip.
4. Ruffle your strips by pulling very gently on one piece of your excess thread. Work the ruffles down until the entire strip is ruffled.
5. Fold your ruffle in half length wise and then make a circle out of it. You can either knot the threads on each side together to complete the circle or simply use your hot glue to glue the ends together. I started with knotting each circle, but I found gluing them was quicker (I had to make several dozen!) Gluing them also allowed me to create a tight circle to fit around the toothpick.
6. Fluff the streamers to create a tutu and slide the toothpick through the hole in the middle of the tutu. Place a small dot of hot glue in the middle to attach it to the bodice.
7. Decorate with pearl stickers and ribbon (optional.) I have to give full credit for this step to my friend Julie at Director Jewels. Thankfully she had the supplies to add the wow factor to the cupcake picks.
They were so pretty and Grace loved them. She wanted to keep each "tutu" pick at her party and all of her friends loved them too.
Be sure to check out the rest of the fun details at Grace's Ballerina Birthday Party!