I'm trying to get back to my normal blog schedule this week and I'm excited that I'm going to be bringing back a couple of my favorite features including Must Read Mondays and Toddler Fun Thursdays. Today I'm linking up to a new Toddler link up over at Director Jewels called Toddler Time Tuesdays (yes I know I'm two days late!)
This week's topic is bedtime routines.
I am a HUGE believer in sticking as closely as possible to a bedtime routine. Grace has always had a hard time with sleep, so sticking with a routine helps make the transition easier for her. Connor doesn't have as hard as a time with it but I think it's important for toddlers to know what to expect at the end of the day.
We start our bedtime routine at about 7 PM. This gives us time to eat dinner as a family and have a little bit of playtime.
1. We do bath if it's bath night (which doesn't happen as often as it should I have to admit!)
2. We brush their teeth. We got the kids cheapy spin brushes for Christmas stocking stuffers and they love them. They are so excited to brush their teeth and so this is a highlight of their bedtime routine.
3. We all play quietly in Grace's room for a bit, change Connor's diaper, and get both of their PJs on. This is more of an ordeal than it should be because if it were up to Grace, she would wear the same Sofia nightgown every single day. We try to give her choices but she normally ends up throwing a tantrum when we don't let her wear it for days on end.
4. I get everything situated in Connor's room and nurse him. Grace and Mike come in to give him kisses and turn on his sleep sheep for him.
5. While I get Connor to sleep, Grace and Mike pick up all the toys in the living room and her room.
6. I take Grace potty. She and I read 3 books in her room and cuddle.
7. Mike comes in to say goodnight. Every single night Grace runs into his arms to give him big hugs and kisses.
8. I say goodnight and Mike stays in with her to get her to go to sleep. For some reason, if I stay, she'll fuss and complain forever. I hear "Mama, wait!" but if Mike is in there, she calms down in about 2 minutes and goes right to sleep. So it's his job!
They are both normally asleep by about 8ish. Sometimes longer but it's nice to have a couple of hours at night to ourselves. Then they sleep til about 7 (Connor still wakes up once sometime between 3-5 to nurse.)
Do you have a set bedtime routine?