So at 3 and a half months, we've had a chance to try out lots of different baby gear....it's amazing to me how much stuff a baby "needs." We had 3 different showers and 2 registries and her nursery is full of stuff. Some of which we've loved, some that we think is a complete waste. I wanted to share more of our must haves that we love.
1. The Kodak Playsport Video Camera- We really wanted to get a video camera when Grace was born, but we didn't want to spend a lot of money. We looked at the Flip cameras, they seem to be very trendy right now, but didn't like how expensive they were. After reading a lot of reviews, we decided on the Kodak Playsport. The video quality seems better then the flip, it's easy to use, and it's waterproof up to 10 ft. This feature really attracted us because we want to spend a lot of time in the pool this summer! It's been so nice to have and the software it comes with will even upload the video to facebook for you. It's not a fancy video camera, but it works for me. I love just being able to grab it and take a short video when Grace is doing something cute!
2. The Sleep Sheep- What would we do without the sleep sheep? This wonderful thing has 4 different white noise settings (Ocean, Rain, Stream, and Whales) that can be played on either a 25 or 45 minute timer. Grace is notorious for waking up right after I lay her down, but if I turn on the sleep sheep and leave it for 45 minutes, she stays asleep. It's magic! Her favorite is the Stream setting.
3. Sophie- Anyone who has young kids knows what Sophie is, but if you don't, Sophie is the most popular baby toy at the moment. It's a teething toy that really reminds me of a dog toy but babies go crazy for it! My child who refuses a pacifier or anything plastic in her mouth grins like crazy when she sees Sophie and goes to town chewing on it. I don't know what they put in it but she loves it. And the paint on it is food grade so it is totally safe for her to chew on!
4. Bibs- When we got small bibs at showers, I thought they would go to waste because they weren't big enough to catch food when she starts eating solids. I have since learned that these are teething bibs and are completely necessary!! She drools....all of the time. If I tried to wipe all the drool off of her face all day, I would have no time to do anything else. So I stick a bib on her and let her chew on her toys and I don't have to worry about spit getting all over her clothes. Gross, but true : )
5. Lion- This vibrating lion toy is probably her favorite. You pull the string and it vibrates, which Grace finds absolutely hilarious. She's still not sure about most toys yet, but she thinks this one is pretty great.
6. Gripe Water- Grace gets the hiccups all the time, at least once to twice a day. Gripe water is a magic substance, I give her just a few drops and the hiccups are gone. This is amazing due to the fact that hiccups make Grace quite mad if she has them for more then a minute or so.
7. Cloth Diapers- I will be the first to admit that I was hesitant about cloth diapers. I knew they were economical, but really, washing poop out of a diaper? Couldn't I just use the disposals and throw it away? Luckily, my Sister-in-law gave us 20 some of her cloth diapers that she had used for both of her kids to let us try. They are BumGenius pocket diapers and basically look very similar to a disposal. They have snaps on the front that allow us to modify the size as Grace grows and Velcro to keep the diaper closed. There is an insert that you put in the diaper before putting it on and that you remove before putting the diaper in the wash. They really are simple to use and although they have added to my laundry time, it's only one extra load every other day. They are saving us a ton of money and while I still think it's a bit gross, I'm getting used to it :)
8. PRIMO EuroBath- This is the monster of all baby bathtubs. It's huge but it doesn't have any fancy accessories. I registered for it after reading the great reviews on it in the Baby Bargains book. Grace loves it. It's big enough that she can splash around in and the ridge in the center holds her steady so that I don't worry about her getting dunked in the water. She loves bath time in this tub. We tried a different, smaller tub at my parents house and it wasn't big enough for her to splash in and she got mad pretty quick!
9. Ergo- Finally, my favorite baby purchase every, the Ergo. I got the Ergo Performance in the gray color so that Mike could use it too. The Ergo is famous for being the best carrier for both the baby's and the parent's back. Grace is nearing 16 pounds and I can comfortably carry her in this for long periods of time. It's easy to get on and off, unlike the Moby wrap. I keep my Ergo in the car so that I can wear her for shopping trips and quick errands. She doesn't like the car seat, so the Ergo makes errands much easier for us. It was expensive, but it has been so worth it!
Next week I'll post what I think was a waste for us. We don't have any exciting plans this weekend, just relaxing and hopefully enjoying the nice weather!